Pages

Powered By Blogger

Friday, September 20, 2013

If you ask me about the problems of education in Pakistan


In our society education is mostly taken for granted and parents and teachers have some vague understanding of it. The understanding is vague in the sense that the society at large has not fully internalized the meaning of education and due to dogmas and superstitions the essence of education is somehow misunderstood.

The bottom line is that formal education and schooling is only superficially accepted as something which will ensure better social status or some refined tastes and this kind of education is never considered equal to religious education to which parents obsessively adhere to. This focus on religious education greatly undermines the formal education process which is considered inferior and which only relates to success in this world.

During my childhood I used to go to mosque early in the morning and later in the evening for religious education such as learning Arabic script of Quran and basics of Islam.  In between these two sessions there was a big interval for formal school timing which also began with the recitation of Quran and some compulsory subjects like Islamic studies. Most of this religious education remained repetitive til my 10th grade and even beyond my college days. Adding five times prayers a day with two time’s formal religious education in mosques and at least two more hours of religious education at school with repetitive subjects and religious themes remained my routine til 16 years of age.

There was no provision for sports in my school and the morning and evening time was already occupied. So it was natural that during the school time we were mostly diverted from our studies and would try to find as much time for sports as was possible.  The formal learning of other subjects such as mathematics, language and science was mostly rot-learning and we never understood what these subjects were all about as we would only cram them for passing exams. This cramming and rot-learning continued til my Masters studies and like all others I did Masters. I faced no hurdle in my formal education as the same thing was practiced by everybody and even our teachers. I got a very good job and I even qualified for a foreign scholarship.

Most of the skills I learnt after my formal education due to the demand of my job and for earning livelihood. I am still learning even in my thirties and as compared to others, this realization was a bit earlier due to my interaction with some good friends, reading books and newspaper, watching movies and using internet. I somehow changed and began to understand things more scientifically but when I look at my friends and colleagues they are the same. For them lack of language and skills is a kind of complex which they cannot cure. In fact, it would be a herculean task to motivate them to get rid of their comfort zones and start learning.  

Looking today at our education system, I can see no change save some English medium schools where students are more fluent in English and shaper at learning by rot. Rot-learning and fluency in English is a guarantee for getting good marks, acceptance to good institutions and better prospects for jobs. If I am asked to identify problems in the education sector I would say:
1.       For a majority Muslim Pakistani society education has no other meaning but religious education.
2.       Most of the student’s time is consumed by religious education which is often repetitive.


3.       The teachers, parents and educational administrators are not fully aware of the importance of formal education.

4.       Most of the teaching is rot-learning and hence no real understanding of mathematics, science and other important subjects.

5.       The same students compete for jobs and those with relatively better grades and, in few cases, better understanding get jobs.

6.       Due to lack of understanding we are not producers but consumers.

7.       Our institutions lack workers with the desired skills to run both public and private institutions.

8.       Most of our problems are increasing and there are no signs of progress and development.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Articles

Read and Comment
Powered By Blogger

Followers